From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Toivo Voll
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:08 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] WPA and Wireless LAN Server Certificate?

Until now we've been using our regular web / SSL certificate for WPA /
PEAP/MSCHAP purposes, and predictably have run into the usability
issues with certificate trust prompts on the client end. (We use Cisco
LWAPP / Freeradius). It appears VeriSign has a specific "Wireless LAN
Server Certificate," and apparently there is work done in IETF
regarding WLAN specific extensions in certificates.

After a fair bit of googling I've been unable to find out just what
the difference between a vanilla SSL certificate and a "Wireless LAN
Server Certificate" is. Presumably the WLAN certificates won't prompt
for the certificate trust, but what other difference, if any, is
there? Are there providers other than VeriSign for these certificates?
(Thawte, for example, seems to refer back to VeriSign for such certs.)

Here's the uninformative product page:
http://www.verisign.com/ssl/buy-ssl-certificates/specialized-ssl-certificates/wireless-lan-security/

Any advice or links to documentation on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

--
Toivo Voll
Network Administrator