From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Hector J Rios
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:48 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Cisco LWAPP Guest Portal Satisfaction

Answers below:

How (or where) do you enforce the http/https restriction?
We created an ACL on the controllers to the guest interface.

Any demand to allow VPN protocols out?
The way we look at guests is that if they want quick access to the web,
our guest SSID should accomplish this. No driver updates or complicated
configurations needed. If they need anything else, they need to connect
to our main SSID which requires 802.1x authentication and is encrypted.
The same guest account that they use for the guest SSID works on the
secure SSID, so there is no need to create additional accounts.
I'm guessing that the admin website for account creation is on another
box- can you describe the integration?
Yes it is. The guest user database is on a BSD box running PostgreSQL.
FreeRADIUS (which is on a separate box) queries this database.
And I'm guessing this is on a guest SSID?
Yes. We've tried running this on the same SSID as the secure one, but
we've had problems getting the automatic VLAN assignment to work
reliably on freeRADIUS.
Finally- one thing that perplexes me a bit- we have 24 controllers- how
would you gracefully coordinate the portal across all of them? Isn't it
really one portal per controller and there's no way to force users from
other APs on other controllers through a common portal?
Is it one portal per controller? In essence it is. If your controllers
belong to the same mobility group and your guest SSID is replicated
across all controllers, then it should all work are virtually one common
portal.

Hope this helps.

Hector