From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Toivo
Voll
Sent: Wed 1/28/2009 9:48 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Comments about Aruba and Cisco????

Some tests we found worthwhile:
-Check to see if multicast works like you expect.
-Related to multicast and in general, check to see if fragmentation
also leads to reordering of fragments and if your applications can
live with this.
-Test client throughput in various scenarios (Single client, multiple
clients, multiple clients some of which are legacy, bonded N channels
vs. unbonded, as many client cards as possible) and with varying
number of TCP streams per client. In particular with 802.11n the
throughput behavior between Aruba and Cisco was quite different
depending on the number of concurrent streams a client was sending /
receiving.
-Test WPA2 authentication with whatever authentication backend you
wish to use, including roaming between APs. Unless you get several
controllers, you may not be able to see whether the hand-off between
APs on different controllers introduces longer delays.
-Run some customer support scenarios trying to find out whether a
client is working right, seeing what might be the cause for bad
performance, and look at logging of information within the various
systems.
-You didn't mention the scale of your deployment, but see what
additional pieces you might need to go full-scale, such as how many
APs/Controllers one WCS box can handle before you need several and
Navigator. I'm not sure what the equivalent in Aruba parlance is.
-You mentioned you're looking at the 1200 series (our new Ciscos are
1142s) but also look at mounting and physical security options as well
as harmonious life with your Friendly Fire Marshall on your gear in
regards to plenum issues.
-If you are planning to use PoE gear in a mixed-vendor environment,
test the behavior of that as well. You'd think this would be
easy-peasy but we didn't find this to necessarily be the case.
-If you're using rogue detection features, see whether the alerts are
valid, and in a case of multiple rogues you'd like to contain whether
you can correctly un-contain some or add new rogues to the containment
list.
-Test for controller failures and AP behavior -- also make sure to see
what happens when the downed controller is brought back.

--
Toivo Voll
Network Administrator

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Johnson, Ken <ken.john...@med.fsu.edu> wrote:
> All,
>
> I am a member of an evaluation team at Florida State University considering
> Cisco and Aruba wireless products. We are focusing on LWAPs and controllers.
> For evaluation configuration and pricing purposes, we have requested from
> the companies information and pricing relating to configurations with 128
> and 1200 APs. The Aruba LWAP is the AP125 while Cisco LWAP is the recently
> release 1142. The Aruba controller is the M3 while the Cisco product is the
> WiSM. There are other aspects, too. I know many of you have experience with
> Cisco and Aruba and have gone through similar experiences. I am interested
> in learning about any observations and experiences you have that we should
> consider in our efforts. Please send me your thoughts.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ken
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Ken Johnson
>
> Director, Information Technology
>
> FSU College of Medicine
>
> 1115 Call Street
>
> Tallahassee, FL 32306-4300
>
> e-mail: ken.john...@med.fsu.edu
>
> phone: 850.644.9396
>
> cell: 850.443.7300
>
> fax: 850.644.5584
>

> "Please note: Florida has very broad public records laws.
>
> Most written communications to or from state/university
>
> employees and students are public records and available
>
> to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail
>
> communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure."

> http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

dispose of the e-mail.