From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of
Jeffrey Sessler
Sent: Wed 3/4/2009 4:59 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Mac OSX and 5Ghz

Concerning the channel 161 issue...

While not specific to channel 161, there is an issue with the broadcom chipset
as installed in Apple and other products. The Cisco unified AP's broadcast a
"world mode" information item that the client should use to determine power
level. In the case of the broadcom chips/driver, when it sees this information
item in the beacon, it causes the driver to set the client power levels
incorrectly (like at zero or bouncing). Lower channels seem to do better than
higher, thus why channel 161 seems to have issues.

There is currently no way to disable the world mode IE in unified, but cicso is
working on it. I have new AP code that disables it, and it does fix the
broadcom issues in my Macs. Broadcom is also working on a driver update, but
who knows how long it's going to take before it shows up and clients update.

best,
Jeff

>>> James Nesbitt <n...@duke.edu> 3/4/2009 12:23 PM >>>
David,

In your output, the channel reading does not indicate bonding (channel
number followed by ,1 for above or ,-1 for below).  Also, the SNR
listed in this output is excellent, this client should have an MCS
data rate of 14 or 15.  Try changing the AP channel to anything but
161.  I have been seeing some strange issues with Mac clients and at
this point the only common thread is channel 161.  I don't know if
Apple is secretly doing something with channel 161 or what.  Maybe to
enhance the speed for Apple to Apple ad-hoc.  In the couple of
instances that I have seen this the issue cleared up when I changed
the channel.

James Nesbitt
Duke University