From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Chris Murphy
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:34 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Blocking iPhones

Not to get too off-topic, but where are the requests coming from, and
why?

-Chris

--
Chris Murphy
Network Engineer

On 4/16/09 12:49 PM, "Emerson Parker" <epar...@arubanetworks.com> wrote:

Has anyone figured out a way to block iPhones?  Not that I think that is
a good idea but I seem to get this request more and more frequently and
I cant seem to find anything unique.

Some ideas I have thought about:

Blocking mDNS  (probably a good idea anyway)
Blocking bonjour

Blocking OUIs

APPLE's OUI's
00:03:93:xx:xx:xx
00:05:02:xx:xx:xx
00:0A:27:xx:xx:xx
00:0A:95:xx:xx:xx
00:0D:93:xx:xx:xx
00:11:24:xx:xx:xx
00:14:51:xx:xx:xx
00:16:CB:xx:xx:xx
00:17:F2:xx:xx:xx
00:19:E3:xx:xx:xx
00:1B:63:xx:xx:xx
00:30:65:xx:xx:xx
00:50:E4:xx:xx:xx
00:A0:40:xx:xx:xx
08:00:07:xx:xx:xx

None of these will work well because they can cause other problems for
other users when blocked.  MACs and PCs can use bonjour, I don't think
the iphone uses a specific range of OUIs, etc.

I haven't sniffed the iphone DHCP request but I was hoping maybe they
use option 43 or something to uniquely identify themselves which can get
a blocked ip address or something.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Emerson