Just to add another on the downside- new Licensing costs. Can be a bit
maddening, depending on which solution gets purchased.

Lee -----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Voll, Toivo
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 2:38 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] WLAN Deployment-High number of users

LWAPP does bring significant benefits. Whether they're worth the cost is
another matter.
1) Radio Resource Management. The system will figure out how to properly
interleave channels and set power levels for minimum interference. It's not
100% perfect, but I wager it's better than almost any human can do and can
respond to changing conditions.

2) No more manual firmware updates, configuration back-ups etc. All the AP
management is centralized; if one goes down or catches the flu it's all on a
central console.
3) Roaming. You can have multiple subnets, one SSID, and when users move from
an AP in one subnet to the other, the controller(s) handle the roaming
transparently to the user. With autonomous APs the client loses connectivity,
has to re-dhcp and all that. Depending on your physical environment this can be
a big one.
4) Security, authentication etc. stuff.

Downside: unless you can get two controllers, you have a single point of
failure: controller goes, and you no longer have a wireless network anywhere.

You have two subnet/vlan sizing issues; the subnet presented to the wireless
users and the network on which the management interface on the APs sits.
Neither should be too big; you want to keep broadcast traffic low on the radio
side so that broadcasts don't end up eating up all your air time; you want to
keep broadcast traffic low on the wired side because the APs (especially old
ones) have some issues with broadcast loads. Because all user traffic is
tunneled to the controller, it really doesn't matter what network an AP is on,
though, from the wired side as long as it can talk to the controller.

Unless you have outdoor coverage from light poles and such or a campus with no
wired backbone, I don't see much use for mesh.

I'd stay away from multiplying SSIDs. We're using a single SSID university-wide
to lessen customer confusion and reduce help desk load.

Other factors: 1200-series and 1100-series APs can all be converted from
autonomous to LWAPP -> investment protection. Past that, if you're looking at
having to fork-lift hardware (old vxWorks APs) Aruba is a pretty solid option
too at very similar price.

--
Toivo Voll
Network Administrator