For what it's worth, we did write our own as well in the early stages of what
turned out to be a pretty painless 802.1x rollout. We did find that despite
having a "mostly effective" script to pass out, the Xpress Connect service (ID
Engines at that time) was more complete, and addressed the "moving target"
aspects of supporting a wide variety of Macs and various Windows flavors than
we could without spending significantly more time on ongoing refinements.

Personally, I'm still of partial mind (hold your snickers)that teaching people
how to do the handful of steps required to configure a supplicant has a lot of
merit, as opposed to automating it. The one big gain- many wireless utilities
are more robust than the weenie version that is native to Windows. If people
understand the handful of basic parameters needed, they can populate their
preferred utility/supplicant and off they go. But for automating the process,
you are locked into the Windows native client/supplicant.

But then again, I'm not on the helpdesk, either:)

-Lee

Lee H. Badman
Wireless/Network Engineer
Information Technology and Services