depends on the AP model and how big the room is, you'll have a nice fat problem with channel interference since you're in the b/g range, but each ap (as long as it's not terribly ancient) should handle 10-20 clients before starting to reject connections or suffer unusable performance.

it also depends on what they're trying to do in the classroom, stream video? or access webpages?

for basic coverage i would go with at 4 ap's and attempt to position them to cover the quadrants of the room if it's small, so at worst you have a 4 channel plan that you may have to set manually. oh and mac's shouldn't try to associate with each other, unless someone has connection sharing or ad-hoc mode configured, which in that case, is simple misconfiguration of the wireless client.

-Justin Hao

John York wrote:
Hi
We have a small installation with about 40 Cisco lwap's (b/g) running on
a Cisco 4402. I've just gotten a request from a group that wants to run
50+ clients in one room.  The last time we tried that about 4 years ago,
it was a disaster.  We had fat AP's at the time.  There were a lot of
Mac's, and they kept grabbing each other instead of the AP's.  Ugh.  How
do folks handle this now?  With my current system can I just throw a
couple more AP's in the room and let them have at it?
Thanks
John

John York
Blue Ridge Community College, VA