The IP theft function can't trigger until the controller
actually see an IP in use.  So they wouldn't exclude the
client before it had even tried to use an address much less
completed the dhcp process.  The exclusion triggered BECAUSE
of the 192.168.1.x address.  I also believe in packet
captures that we saw DHCPREQUEST packets from the client
asking for a specifc 192.168.1.x address.  This seems to
indicate it was using the address previously.  The server
answered with an DHCPOFFER from a different configured
range.  The client however would not take it or did not get
it.  When the "IP theft" function was turned off the client
would then complete the dhcp process normally.  Also, this
did not always happen.  From talking to one student it was
generally exhibited when he first came in and had used the
host on his home network previously.

-Matt

Methven, Peter J wrote:
Just for information MAC OS/X Leopard (and probably Tiger) both default
to an IP Address in the 192.168.1.n range when they cannot acquire an IP
address, like windows machines default to  a 169.254.n.n ip address.
Presumably if they are being "excluded" from network access and not
acquiring an IP address from DHCP they will fall back to a self-assigned
IP address.
Many Thanks
Peter