oCIO - Infrastructure
The Ohio State University
614-292-9906   holland....@osu.edu

On Sep 21, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Matt Ashfield wrote:

Just to rehas this discussion... Has anyone found that the Iphone3.1 software has fixed this?

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU ] On Behalf Of Ryan Holland
Sent: July 29, 2009 10:05 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] iphone 3.0 auto-join problems?

I'm glad to see others with this problem (meaning that in nicest way possible of course). I had opened case 337745 with Apple. From what I found, the phone sends out probe requests for the known network and receives responses, but the phone never sends 802.11 auth frames (let alone association frames) for said network. Only if the user taps the network does the phone connect.

I'll see about the suggested 3.1 beta - sounds intriguing.

Ryan Holland
Network Engineer, Wireless
CIO - Infrastructure
The Ohio State University