From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Nathan Hay
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:11 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Devices to monitor wireless networks

Has anyone built a dedicated computer/device that you deploy on the network for the purpose of verifying that your SSIDs are working?

For example, a computer with a wired connection and wireless connection that connects to a given SSID and "repairs" the wireless connection every 5 or 10 minutes and then reports if it can't connect?

We have multiple wireless controllers and when an SSID has problems for whatever reason we often don't hear about it until the phone starts ringing.  I'd like to be more pro-active and develop something that can automatically test the integrity of our SSIDs and alert us to problems.

I'd also like to use these devices for remote wireless packet capture when support wants us to capture whatever is going over the air.

Any suggestions for hardware/software for such a purpose would be appreciated.  I don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has already done this.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan P. Hay
Network Engineer