From: William Emmel <emm...@stjohns.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:17:01 -0500
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Internet Bandwidth Capacity and Management in general

I’m looking for some information to help us baseline and level set.  We
currently have two 100Mb diverse Internet connections.  We have about 3500
students in our campus residence village and another 500 at remote residences.
The individual residences each have a 10Mb fiber back to the campus but that’s
a discussion for a different day.  Most of the wired and wireless traffic from
the on campus residence halls is directed to one of the 100Mb links while
admin, faculty and some other small student population uses the other.  We use
Packeteer to rate limit and the two links are pretty much maxed out for a good
part of the day and night.   I’m curious at to what bandwidth some of the other
universities have and also what type of management policies and techniques
people are using.

Thanks.

Bill

William F. Emmel
Director of Network and Communications Services
St. John's University – New York
Office 1-718-990-2007
Mobile 1-516-647-7624