Hi Chris,

There are two ways (currently) to approach full redundancy, one a bit more
redundant than the other.  The first is to have a controller cluster, such as
is found with Motorola and Trapeze, with some of the clustered controllers are
located in a physically different location than the others (but still connected
via Gigabit).  For a distributed scenario like this (in case a building goes
down), this scenario is a bit of a pain and costs quite a bit, as you might can
guess, but it should still work.

The second way to do this is via a controller-less architecture (e.g.
Aerohive), where APs talk to each other using protocols much akin to routing
protocols such as OSPF.  Without controllers, and with failover/failback and
beth-path forwarding, full redundancy can be achieved at minimum complexity and
cost.  This is the reason that others (Motorola, Ruckus, and others are already
moving toward a controller-less architecture.

Hope this helps,

Devin K. Akin
Chief Wi-Fi Architect
Aerohive Networks
E: de...@aerohive.com
C: +1.404.483.2681
O: +1.770.854.8554
W: www.Aerohive.com

I work for a University that is starting to rely on the wireless more and more.
I am currently using the meru wireless system with the Nplus1 technology. This
works great as long as you don’t have more than one controller go down at a
time, but if you would lose a whole building or more than one controller there
will be an outage. I was wondering what other universities are doing to get
true redundancy? Are you buying a nplus1 controller for every production
controller?

Thanks in advance,
Chris Huels
Network Engineer
Washington University in St. Louis ********** Participation and subscription
information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at