Dear folks,

This may be something you're already familiar with. But I'm passing it on for
what it's worth....

Someone just sent me this link, to a ZDnet story apparently reporting on a
presentation at BlackHat/Europe conference.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security-threats/2010/04/16/security-researchers-demo-cisco-wi-fi-flaws-40088653/?tag=mncol;txt

BUT don't click on that yet!

The story ABOUT the presentation seems a big dicey to me. (A better one --
based on a quick skim -- seems to be this story at DarkReading, which
interviewed the presenter, Enno Rey, before BlackHat
http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability_management/security/perimeter/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224202409.)

I've done some additional digging, and I think the same team presented the same
material at the recent SchmooCon.

Here's the SchmooCon video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4500990

FYI, here's the link to the capsule BlackHat session summary and the
presenters: http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-eu-10/bh-eu-10-briefings.html

The presenter in both is Enno Rey, with ERNW GmbH, based in Germany. Their
English language website is here http://ernw.de/content/e15/e26/index_eng.html

Rey mentions an infosec blog: http://www.insinuator.net/

I've only checked the opening minutes of the video. Rey is looking at 2 Cisco
WLAN "architecturs" -- SWAN and the current CUWN. Apparently a big part of the
presentation is potential problems in the Cisco's proprietary Wireless LAN
Context Control Protocol (WLCCP).

There you go....I'll pull this together for a blogpost
http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/2989 at Network World later today.
Unless you all tell me this was old news from 2 years ago or something....

Regards,
John Cox

J o h n   C o x
Senior Editor
Main: 508.766.5301 | Direct: 508.766.5422
Office at home: 978-834-0554

NETWORKWORLD
Maximize Your Return on IT
492 Old Connecticut Path | Framingham, MA 01701-9002