From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of heath.barnhart
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 10:06 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Limiting Bandwidth on Autonomous APs

I'm probably going to get slammed for asking this, but does it have to be a
technical issue? Moving 1 TB of data over wireless is really not fair to the
other clients. If the usage is necessary, and you have wired Ethernet in place,
I would try to have the user move to using the wired connection. If you are
only using 802.11g, then a wired connection should be faster and he's eating up
less air time. Whether this person is moving that much data for academic
purposes or not, it is still interfering with the network utilization of
network resources for other users.

QoS might help you, though you would probably want to do it network wide, as
this person could just move to another area if his/her bandwidth speeds started
to drop. If your users are utilizing the wireless network that much, you may
want to look at 802.11N.