Hi Tom,

We have an open unauthenticated SSID called ubcvisitor. Upon connecting, the
guest is presented with a captive portal which displays our AUP and services
they can access. The user must then enter an email address at the bottom of the
disclaimer and hit accept in order to start their session.

Outbound from the network we block all ports except for those used by these
services; http, https, pops, imaps, smtps, pptp, l2tp, IPsec, ssh and ntp.

On the wireless controllers this SSID is set to the lowest traffic priority
setting (Bronze in Cisco WLC land).

We use publicly routable, commercial IP space. This makes it easier on us when
it comes to logging and tracing. This also prohibits access to many services
only available from our academic IP space which makes its use a deterrent to
students, staff and faculty.

We initially only intended to keep this network on for the 2010 Winter Olympics
but due to popular demand we have turned it into a permanent fixture here at
UBC.

Geoff Armstrong
Network Support Analyst
Network Management Centre
University of British Columbia - Information Technology
(604) 822-1305
UBC Wireless