I don't have any experience with this, but you might look into zigbee or 802.15.4.

e.g.
http://www.jdlsolutions.com/CSeriesWirelessSensors.asp#C430HTMP

Barron

Barron Hulver
Director of Networking, Operations, and Systems
Center for Information Technology
Oberlin College
148 West College Street
Oberlin, OH  44074
440-775-8798
barron.j.hul...@oberlin.edu
http://www2.oberlin.edu/staff/bhulver/

On 9/22/10 6:26 PM, Manuel Amaral wrote:
I'm hoping someone can help identify some reasonable ideas for this.
One of our faculty members is working on a project where he needs to
collect remote environmental data. He needs to capture temperature and
humidity readings at an outdoor location, with no power, roughly 1500
feet from campus. Ideally, he'd like to be able to transmit the data
back to campus wirelessly at least once a day where the data can be
stored and made accessible via a website. And he'd like to keep the
costs relatively low. Has anyone had any experience with something like
this?
Manny