On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 10:51:15 -0800, "Entwistle, Bruce"
<bruce_entwis...@redlands.edu> said:
> We are currently looking at different ways to cover outdoor areas as we
> look to migrate to N wireless.  In our existing B/G installation we have
> installed APs inside buildings and run coaxial cable to antennas located
> on strategic positions on the outside of the building.  However as we
> look to installing N APs the idea of two antennas and six cables on the
> outside of the building does not seem aesthetically pleasing.  I would
> appreciate anyone who is willing to share their experience with a similar
> situation.

We ran a pair of Cat5e per AP (one for data/power, one for serial
console) to the outside of the building, and housed the APs in
weatherproof boxes.  Each box has 6 RF bulkhead connectors that poke out
the bottom which an external antenna connects to.  The boxes and
antennas are mounted directly to the exterior of the building.  If you
can conceal it a bit under some protruding eaves, it's not as
noticeable, but it certainly isn't all that attractive if it's just
sticking out in the open.  We used Cisco 1252 APs, plastic enclosures
from sparcotech.com, and dual-band MIMO directional antennas from
terrawave.com.
We did consider the option of housing the APs indoors and running
feedline out to the antennas, but the increased number/size of building
penetrations needed for the feedline as well as signal loss through the
feedline made the externally-mounted APs preferable.
--
Nick Kartsioukas
Cuesta College Computer Services