I have everyone held back to 2 Mbs on wireless. That seems to be a good number for now. Nobody is complaining and it helps to keep their experience consistent. They can watch a Netflix movie with that. I imagine Netflix would use more bandwidth if it could. I have not tested though.

On 3/16/2011 6:28 PM, Brian Helman wrote:

If people are building new dorms, I'd definitely run copper to any common rooms if you support any gaming consoles. Honestly though, we have a good density of wiring even in the dorms and I'm pretty close to shutting down or at least limiting the bandwidth available for video on the wireless network. Netflix, Flash and Youtube are killing it (not to mention our Internet connection).

-Brian

*From:*The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] *On Behalf Of *Joel Coehoorn
*Sent:* Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:30 PM
*To:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
*Subject:* Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless Site Survey cost

Agree I wouldn't run new "port-per-pillow" drops, but I wouldn't ditch existing drops (just update the switching) and anywhere you have apartment-style living I would put a wired port in the common space for game consoles/blu-ray/smart tvs/etc. Those who actually use the ports will be the few who know enough to know why it's better, and they also tend to be your heaviest users. It's nice to get some of the gaming and netflix traffic out of your airspace.