Our Utilities folks are looking at deploying the Cypress Envirosystems Wireless
Pneumatic Thermostat system on campus for remote temperature monitoring and
control.     As is so often (too often?) the case with systems like these, (a)
they use the 2.4GHz DSSS band (frequencies from 2.407 to 2.467 Ghz) and (b)
they're not 802.11/Wi-Fi technologies, but rather their own wireless technology.

Their literature maintains that "Extensive testing has shown that our wireless
solution has no discernable impact on other wireless technologies, such as
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi", but for some reason, I tend to discount vendor testing
that doesn't include all of their test methodologies or results.

So, have any of you all had any experience with these devices and, if so, seen
any impacts either from these devices on wi-fi or from wi-fi systems on these
devices?   (We get the blame no matter which way the impact.)  According to the
vendor, these systems are deployed at UCal-Berkeley, Clemson, Stanford and
UCLA, so if there are any folks from those institutions out there, please let
me know your experiences (or if you were even aware that these were out there).

As always, thanks in advance!

-- Jim Gogan
    Director, Networking / ITS