From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Peter P Morrissey
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:01 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Dearth of 5GHz Laptops

Every year we purchase a handful of laptops to get a sense of how well the
new laptops that freshman are coming in with will perform on our network.
Ideally we like to test laptops with 5Ghz 11n, and since we've upgraded all
our residences to 11n this summer, that is even more important. I have to
say that I am really disappointed though. I've been checking Best Buy and
Newegg, and I am having a hard time finding laptops in any price range with
5GHz 11n. There are a few of the more expensive ones, but not all of them,
and I was even expecting that the feature would trickle down into the
cheaper netbooks.

The one exception is Apple laptops. They have been  5GHz 11n for three or
four years, and even the iPad 2 supports it. I know they come with their
share of other wireless issues, which is a shame, but I still have to give
them kudos for being forward thinking in that regard. And, they are really
catching down with our students. If current trends continue, over 50% of our
incoming class will come with Apple laptops.

Pete Morrissey