From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Helzerman, James
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:17 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wifi Support Staff

I also forgot to mention we have a field installation staff that does all the
installs for networking equipment & wiring including wireless access points.

We always feel like we are behind a little bit in what we would like to
accomplish especially testing and next generation stuff.  Additional staff
would help but I think we would end up in the same boat, taking on a bit more
than we should at any one time.  We definitely need staff to support wireless
especially as it grows as the preferred main network medium (preferred by users
not by us).  To even think about replacing wired networking with wireless would
mean a change in the wireless support model of reactive to proactive
troubleshooting.  This could involve a parallel sensor network to monitor RF in
real-time and the need for quick response by our techs to correct any issues.
This could be a topic in itself so I wont continue any farther.  My point is
the next direction you take your wireless networks in will almost mean you need
dedicated and highly knowledgeable staff.

We continue to deploy wireless based on customer requests.  For the scale and
timing that we are asked to deploy wireless networks I believe we are doing
good.  Most user complaints come from mis-configured devices or sources of
interference and we are able to resolve them quickly.  Unfortunately we have
found that most users still do not bring issues to our attention and many go
unresolved.  We try to get the word out that we are here to help, so when I say
we are doing good that is based on accomplishing our campus wireless directives
and providing support to those that request it in a timely manner.

-Jimmy

James Helzerman
Wireless Network Engineer
University of Michigan
ITS Communications Systems and Data Centers
4251 Plymouth Road,
Building 2, #2224
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
Phone: 734-615-9541