On 8/22/2011 7:31 PM, Hurt,Trenton William wrote:

> We have recently deployed wireless in all are residence halls and are
> in the process of completing a ubiquitous wireless deployment across
> our entire campus.  We currently use public ips for the wireless
> address space to serve client devices.  We are concerned that we will
> eventually run out of usable ips for client use in the near future,
> and therefore have begun looking at moving to nat/pat environment.  I
> would like to hear from folks who have done this and get feedback
> about any issues that they saw during/after this transition, and how
> they handled them.  (DMCA, gaming, etc.)  I have searched the forum
> and found these posts, but I would like to get a updated thread going
> in case any new issues have arose since these posts.

My four year old answer is in another Educause forum,
http://seclists.org/educause/2007/q2/199

Short form of that is that we NAT the majority of our campus, servers
included, and have for over a decade.  There are some caveats:

(1) You will need logging to maintain any degree of accountability of
external-to-internal IP mapping at a give time.
(2) You will be more susceptible to certain [D]DoS, but not much more so
than any other stateful firewall implementation.
(3) You really want one-to-one NAT, not overload/PAT.   It can remain
dynamic (shared public pool) but you really want one-to-one.
(4) You must deal with DNS (internal/external, or stateful DNS
inspection/translation by your NAT device).
(5) IPv6 fans and IPv4 purists will snicker behind your back :)

Jeff