NO
On 9/23/2011 7:21 AM, Gogan, James P wrote:

Well, it's that time of year again ....

the time when we get calls from a handful of faculty who want the ability to disable the wireless access point that covers their classroom during specific class periods (they also want cellular coverage disabled during those times -- yeah, right ......). When I point out that the AP that covers their classroom may also provide coverage for the one next door, or that with a controller-based architecture, shutting off one access point would likely just increase the signal coverage area of adjacent APs, the response I usually get back is "well, I KNOW that other universities are doing it, so .... FIX IT".

So, let me ask my biennial question: what ARE other universities doing in this regard? I was specifically given U of Michigan as an example. Anyone know what they're doing? Any successful implementation details from anyone dealing with this issue are welcome. And yes, I am biting my tongue to not say "teach more engagingly".

Thanks in advance!

-- Jim Gogan / Univ of North Carolina