Jen,

We see exactly the same on our wifi-networks. For economy class mobile
equipment it'still cheaper to go for 2.4 Ghz radios only + i believe i have
read / heard that 5 Ghz radios are also more battery-consuming.
For students complaining about wlan performance (either face-to-face or via
social networks) we offer the dual band capable use wifi adapters for loan via
our helpdesks to experience the difference. Also our faq on wlan describes the
advantages of choosing a dual band capable device, but it's an 'uphill
battle'.....

Best regards, Kees.

>>> Jennifer Francis Wilson <jfwils...@uclan.ac.uk> 9/25/2011 4:05 PM >>>
Anyone happy with the numbers of 5ghz clients connecting to their networks,
compared to 2.4ghz clients?

I'm only seeing around 25% of clients on 5ghz, despite having a decent density
of dual radio 2.4/5ghz APs with band select switched on.

A reasonable percentage of the 5ghz clients are from laptops we loan out which
we know connect to 5ghz most of the time.

Most clients seem to either not be 5ghz capable or their wireless NICs/drivers
aren't choosing the 5ghz signal.

(we have 802.11n on both 2.4 and 5ghz, with 20mhz channels on 5ghz and use the
same ssids on both bands)

Jen.