We also see low 5GHz uptake (<20% campus-wide).  But I think the numbers are
skewed by smartphones which tend to only use 2.4GHz.

We installed dense coverage in two large auditoriums this summers (521 and 420
seats) and in those we were seeing 40% 5GHz uptake by users the first two weeks
of class.  Now those are special environments.  In order to get 2.4GHz to work
even marginally, we were playing lots of games to reduce and absorb the 2.4GHz
signal strength to deal with the limited number of channels.  While at 5GHz all
APs were left full power, and there were a lot more of those APs.  Students
were asked to bring their laptops/tablets to class (tablet meaning iPad
predominantly on our campus which are 5GHz) and leave their phones off or in
airplane mode.  As the semester has progressed we are down to 28% 5GHz uptake
-- presumably as the students forgot/ignore their syllabus instructions.

-William