In our residential halls we've deployed dual-radio 802.11n AP's at a level
where we average no more than 10 people per AP. Moving forward, our new
residential halls will move to an AP per suite, pushing the average to no more
than about 6. At our peak demand per day, our campus client-per-AP average is
about 5.5. We're seeing peak bandwidth use on Wireless in range of 400Mbps
downstream and 100Mbs upstream.

Since 2003, we've offered "Gigabit to the Pillow," but with the advent of the
WiFi coverage, use of the wired ports is now minimal. In fact, when I mentioned
to a first-year that she had the option of using a wired ethernet port, she
said "What's that?"

Jeff

>>> On Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM, in message
>>> <4c43d94c-bb4e-45cf-a2bd-3e6081e38...@utk.edu>, "Hanset, Philippe C"
>>> <phan...@utk.edu> wrote:

Ron,

Frank implemented his reply-to on his own. There is nothing that we can do to
prevent that I believe.
(Frank, would you please change that setting)

About the article, we are facing the same... people want a "home" experience in
their dorms,
and the expectations are insane. This said, with the amount of devices without
a wired ethernet
capability, it's hard to tell users to go back to a cable!
I have just proposed a design at UTK that would have each Wi-Fi AP shared by 8
people on average in the dorms, and Wired "on demand".
(e.g. $40 per semester for an activation)
The cables and switches are there, but completely underused (mostly used
because our initial Wi-Fi was built as a complement).
Wireless only in the dorms is a great thing in term of capacity planning. You
don't have sleeping ethernet ports anymore.
Our switches are going on 8-9 years, so instead of replacing them we might just
have switches for wireless with a little extra
capacity for "wired on demand".
Providing wireless coverage and capacity for 8 people per AP and changing only
switches needed for wireless will have a cost very similar to
replacing all current switches (we plan to locate APs in bedrooms, no extra
wiring cost!).
We have heard of many successful stories of wireless only dorms on this list,
we certainly hope to share it.

We also plan to have one wireless subnet per dorm to support MDNS (Bonjour
etc...).
Bring your Apple TVs and Airplays kids...
(maybe some rate limiting ;-)

Best,

Philippe
Univ. of TN, Knoxville