Hello,

On any given day, we see around 13,500 total wireless clients and growing.
Approximately 11 percent of these clients are guests. We've allocated a /20
rfc1918 block to provide for future expansion which is NAT overloaded to a
small number of public addresses. These public addresses are tunneled beyond
our campus firewall. It should be noted that although the wireless itself is
open (no authentication), we do require registration. Clients who associate to
the guest SSID but don't register are quarantined in a secondary rfc1918 block
and only allowed to the registration web server. Out of the 1,500 total guest
clients, about a third of these aren't registered leading us to believe these
are casual associations (people with wireless devices passing through our
coverage areas). Being in a metropolitan area with a main street with above
ground public transportation that cuts through the middle of the campus, we
have to provide enough capacity to allow for this transient churn without
impacting our clients, balancing short DHCP lease times and DHCP server
horsepower.

-Ed

--
Edward R. Nelson
Sr. Network Systems Engineer, Information Services & Technology