We're seeing some of it, as well.  Here at Rice University, we've seen an
increase of approximately 800 network devices on wireless from 4 Dec 2011 to
today.  Our total on wireless 4 Dec was 6917, and on the 22 Jan 2012 it was
7794.

Our wireless is primarily split between authenticated and visitor.  We use
Cisco WiSM's, and have our staff divided out on 8 /25's per WLC, and our
students divided out on 8 /25's per WLC based on a hash done on radius
server from their network ID.  The hash is load-balanced to return "staff01"
or "student03".  This gives them a sort of "stickiness", so they'll be in
the same VLAN every time.  However, obviously "student03" is a different /25
on every WLC.  With this load-balancing (of a sort), we haven't really seen
any issues with the staff or student wireless.

However, with the visitors, we use web-auth to force them to acknowledge the
acceptable use policy, there is no radius return to load-balance.  So, on
the legacy APs (1000 series, we're in the process of upgrading) we use
AP-Groups to assign a building, floor, or section to a specific visitor /25.
We're moving towards using the VLAN-GROUP function in the 7.0.116.0 code for
visitors, which will give us the ability to combine all 8 /25's for visitor
on each controller.  In the past, when large visiting groups come on campus,
we have had issues with running out of DHCP leases (it's a /25, after all),
but instead of increasing the broadcast domains (to a /24, or larger), we've
opted to split the AP-Groups out even tighter than building - to a floor, or
even a specific area (dining commons with 5 APs = one /25).

All,
     It seems an alarmingly high number of wireless devices have returned to
our campus this week.  After at least of year of steadily increasing
numbers, we are now seeing a roughly 40% increase since last December.  At
first I didn't believe what I was seeing and opened a case with the vendor
to confirm reporting was accurate.  Tied into this, we upgraded by a major
version earlier this month and I thought this could be related.  Apparently
not the case, everything we've looked at tells us that the numbers are
accurate.  I'm still looking a stats, but haven't been able to come up with
anything yet.
    Is anyone else seeing this magnitude of increase in devices over winter
break ?

Don Wright
Brown University