From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Lee H Badman
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:32 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] End of Sale/End of Life Announcement on WiSMs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/ps6526/end_of_life_notice_c51-691055.html

Somehow this escaped me, and now I'm dealing with not getting wind of it
earlier.

It's no surprise that WiSMs are getting long in the tooth, but the part of the
announcement that (I think) sucks is that we have a quantity of 3600 APs ready
to get installed. These APs need 7.1 Code. WiSMs will not run 7.1 code.

We have (6) 5508s, and 24 controllers on 12 WiSMs. So we have the unfortunate
choices of either running a mixed code environment (yeah, that sounds fun)
where 3600s may hit controllers that can't let them associate, shelving our
3600s until we get our 5508s in place and WiSMs retired at the pace we had
planned on, or quickly rushing to get rid the WiSMs so we're not faced with
either of the first two situations.

Sharing in case anyone else can benefit...

Lee H. Badman
Wireless/Network Engineer
Information Technology and Services
Adjunct Instructor, iSchool