We have seen this, but it does not seem to be the alphabetical order, but
the order it was used.  Since the open network is used to set up the
secured network you must connect to it first.  The only solution we have
seen is forgetting the older network as you state.

Walter Reynolds
Principal Systems Security Development Engineer
ITS Communications Systems and Data Centers
University of Michigan
(734) 615-9438