What if you did something with DNS service discovery and setup dns records
for appletv?  We did this for airprint and doing a few quick google
searches it looks like it may be possible with apple tv.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1722/contributions/Bonjour%20Device%20Discovery.pdf

Craig Pluchinsky
IT Services
Indiana University of Pennsylvania