+1 on AnyConnect.  L2TP/IPSec are lower layer protocols, and I wouldn't bet
on them supported natively on mobile devices indefinitely if the vendors
want to push the platform forward.  I presume Apple partnered with Cisco
and built it into iOS at v1 so it would be a commercial success, but five
years on there are better ways to do VPN.  It is probably both technically
and politically cumbersome for both vendors to get bug fixes and updates
for IPsec client rolled together with OS updates.  With the upper layer SSL
stuff Apple and Cisco are free of each other.  Cisco now updates AnyConnect
for whatever reason they wish at a rate of about every 2-3 months from what
I've seen.  That's a good thing.  Separating the OS from everything that
can be an app just makes sense for everyone concerned rather than doing
things at lower layers that could be done at higher layers because it was
done that way in the past or free.  I'd guess Apple will pull the Cisco
IPsec client from iOS soon.  Perhaps v7?  AnyConnect is cheap and easy to
setup, and those who don't wish to use anything else aren't entitled to
dictate OS development.  I could be totally wrong here, but that's how it
seems to me.

On Android its a different matter, at least last I checked.  AnyConnect was
only supported without rooting on a few Samsung Galaxy models, so I don't
know how that will end up.  If Google takes the same attitude as the Linux
community on backwards compatibility and IPsec never dies it will hurt the
platform, but if the platform is fragmented such that vendors can't support
SSL VPN on it widely I'm not sure what the alternative is.  So on Android
is isn't as happy a story, but I doubt it is Cisco's fault.  Just one of
the many unknowns about that platform.