Mearl Danner
Systems Programmer
Samford University Technology Services
jmdanner at samford.edu
http://www.samford.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Case, Brandon J
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 2:55 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Domain Logon Over Wireless

Has anyone out there tried doing domain logons over a 1x-enabled network? We
have a request in from one department (and potentially others) to offer such a
service. Their goal is to create learning lab environments where students can
use laptops that are dedicated just for the room the lab is in. However, they
also want to be able to join these laptops to their departmental domain in
order to do patching etc. so the machines have to be able to log on to the
network while no user is logged on to the machine.

Google searches until my eyes are bloodshot all say it can only be done with
EAP-TLS and machine certificates, which always leads to using Microsoft
Certificate Services. I'm no Windows Server buff so all the magic that happens
between laptop and domain controllers is smoke and mirrors to me. Even if that
can be side-stepped somehow, the thought of private PKI management isn't one I
relish. Any hints anyone can offer would be wonderful.

Thanks,
--
Brandon Case
Network Engineer, ITaP

PGP Fingerprint:
99CB 02D6 983C 1E2A 015F  205C C7AA E985 A11A 1251