It is highly unlikely that this will ever come to pass. Sure, you may
get to the point where you could get very basic AP functionality
cross-vendor, but there are so many vendor-specific custom features
requiring support in both the AP and controller e.g. Cisco's clean air,
that I doubt vendor A will spend time to reverse-engineer and support
vendor B's technology. There is simply no money to be made from doing so
and it's unlikely to result in a better customer experience.

Jeff

>>> Daniel Eklund  01/30/13 7:46 AM >>>
Yes, this is pretty much what I'm thinking Philippe.  All devices are
getting smarter as time goes on, but APs have gotten dumber (in some
ways).
 Perhaps Cisco will do something good with the acquisition of Meraki in
this regard.

--
Daniel Eklund
Network Planning Manager

Cat3850****
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12598/index.html****
>    ****
>   and the Cat3850 Switch -
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12686/index.html****
>    ****
>   IOS XE for both of these (not AireOS) and the ability to do
termination
> of CAPWAP on the switch with optional mobility tunnels back to a
> controller. The datasheet for the Cat3850 has some info on this new
option.
> Could be situationally useful, but I'm not quite sold on the
advantages vs.
> the current model for higher ed where many of us are using big central
> pools of real IPs and no NAT for our wireless users. Thoughts?****
>    ****
>   -Luke
> ****