From: phanset
Sent:  15/02/2013, 21:35
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] About the eduroam configuration on Freeradius

Linchuan,

There is a big drawback to no letting your users join the local eduroam SSID.
They won't be able to setup their devices while on campus before traveling.
Having the concordia.ca<http://concordia.ca> users joining the eduroam SSID on
campus will help them with
two aspects of the connectivity:
-Learn to use the REALM (user@reaml, in your case
realm=concordia.ca<http://concordia.ca>)
-Learn to load the proper RADIUS infrastructure certificate on their machine
before traveling somewhere else

These two things alone could reduce your help desk calls quite a bit.

If you do so, make sure to enforce the REALM requirement from your own users in
your RADIUS config
(we used to not enforce that at University of Tennessee and ended up with users
not being able to use eduroam when traveling)

What you can do (as explained by Steve and Julian) is to filter the
concordia.ca<http://concordia.ca> users and put them in special VLANs.
For instance: University of Tennessee, Knoxville assigns users with
@utk.edu<http://utk.edu> credentials to the same VLAN pool weather
they join the eduroam SSID or the ut-wpa2 SSID. The only difference between the
two is that users joining eduroam
have to use "ne...@utk.edu<mailto:ne...@utk.edu>" and users on ut-wpa2 can only
use "netid" if they want.

Have a good Weekend,

Best,

Philippe Hanset
www.eduroamus.org<http://www.eduroamus.org>

On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:24 PM, Linchuan Yang