Portal net is unencrypted, or encrypted?

-Lee Badman

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Ashfield, Matt (NBCC)
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:29 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] 802.1x vs web-portal

Just wondering what people's thoughts are here regarding using the Web Portal
authentication vs 802.1x auth in your wifi networks. Obviously one big "pro"
for 802.1x is dynamic vlan assignment based on the users's credentials, but
certainly for web-portal the big "pro" is simplicity for the user.

We currently use ExpressConnect to configure student devices for our 802.1x
wifi network using certbased authentication, and while it works great 90% of
the time, we have 10% where it's tough to get the user on for a variety of
reasons on student owned devices. Since we provide guest access via a portal
authentication, we inevitably get the question as to why don't we do all wifi
auth with that?

I know when I first started out, there were limitations with the # of users a
portal auth system could support, but I don't think that's a major concern
anymore (we are using Cisco 5508 controllers here).  Just wondering what the
thoughts are on this list. Always good input.

Thanks

Matt