We've been considering this problem as part of our eduroam deployment (we're still in the configuring and testing stage, no services offered yet), and we decided one of our goals would be that instead of trying to force students to pick the right one, that we would instead configure the network side so that our users didn't have to care.

Remember that the identity provided for eduroam has the university name as the realm. Our plan is to take any users that identify with our realm of wpi.edu to the eduroam SSID, and send back a RADIUS attribute that drops them on the same VLAN as our primary university SSID. (In our case we're also keying off of the client MAC address and correlating with our IPAM registration database, but that's an optional extra step.) That way any of our users can connect to either the university SSID or eduroam and get exactly the same connectivity, while any external eduroam guests get dropped onto our guest VLAN.

Simple, clean, and completely transparent to our users.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute |           - HL Mencken