From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Danny Eaton
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 7:34 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] WiSM-2 and 7.6.120.0....

Is anyone seeing controller crashes on 7.6.120.0 with a high load?  We upgrade
to 7.6.120.0 in May, but haven't had a real load (over 5,000 clients, say)
until this past two weeks.

We had "something" happen on Friday.  We did do a "therapeutic reboot" on
Saturday morning (at oh my God it's 3:30 in the morning!).  However, today it
repeated.  While investigating, we discovered the primary in one of the
clusters apparently failed and went into maintenance mode.  However, the active
"secondary" still showed standby hot, so we did a failover - which caused an
outage (uh oh).  While consoled in, we got the maintenance moded primary back
up, and was bringing the secondary back up, when we found this:

pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption called by file(rrmSocket_wlc.c), line(128), for
size(2048), failureType = (4)
this entry's  previous access was by:  file(capwap_ac_sm.c), line(7393)
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption):
pmallocGenericCrashInfo=(++PMALLOC_POISONED_AREA_CORRUPTION)
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption): thread ID(349256224)
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption): thread name(Unknown task name, task id =
(349256224))
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption): current access file name(rrmSocket_wlc.c)
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption): previous-access file name(capwap_ac_sm.c)
pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption called by file(rrmSocket_wlc.c), line(128), for
size(2048), failureType = (4)
this entry's  previous access was by:  file(capwap_ac_sm.c), line(7393)
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption):
pmallocGenericCrashInfo=(++PMALLOC_POISONED_AREA_CORRUPTION)
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption): thread ID(349256224)
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption): thread name(Unknown task name, task id =
(349256224))
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption): current access file name(rrmSocket_wlc.c)
(pmallocProcessMemoryCorruption): previous-access file name(capwap_ac_sm.c)
Dumping a core. This can take a few minutes...
Controller crashed ....Queue Woken up jiffies = 4295262648

Obviously, that is bad (and yes, we're opening a TAC case).

tl;dr

                Has anyone else seen oddities with crashes on 7.6.120.0, and if
so, did you upgrade?  To 7.6.130.0, or 8.0.100.0?  I'm running 8.0.100.0 in the
lab, but light load.  (which is what we did on 7.6.120.0 since May)...

Thoughts?  Opinions?

               Respectfully,

               Danny Eaton

               Snr. Network Architect
               Networking, Telecommunications, & Operations
               Rice University, IT
               Mudd Bldg, RM #205
               Jones College Associate
               Office - 713-348-5233
               Cellular - 832-247-7496
               dannyea...@rice.edu<mailto:dannyea...@rice.edu>

               Soli Deo Gloria
               Matt 18:4-6

G.K. Chesterton, "Christianity has not been tried and found wanting.  It's been
found hard and left untried."