We've had complaints for a while that would come in sporadically, but didn't
pay them much mind as it was always difficult to reproduce.  The complaint was
with Apple devices (normally OSX) that would just drop connectivity and then
reestablish moments later.  People would complain that our secure SSID (our
primary EAP-TLS WPA2-Ent SSID) was not stable.  It was always from Apple users.
 Recently, however, one of our employees with an Apple running OSX (Yosemite)
started to have the problem routinely on our PSK SSID.  When I turned on
debugging in the logs, the following message was logged every time he dropped:

Sep 5 10:53:48 :501105:  <NOTI> |AP
RB_House_016@172.28.65.99<mailto:RB_House_016@172.28.65.99> stm|  Deauth from
sta: 48:d7:05:bf:28:e5: AP 172.28.65.99-00:1a:1e:52:dd:51-RB_House_016 Reason
Ptk Challenge Failed

When I did a google the Ptk Challenge failed, it turned up an Airheads forum
that said that since OSX devices don't support Opportunistic Key Caching,
having this enabled on your controllers could cause drops on these devices when
they roam from AP to AP.  We disabled it on both out UNC-Secure and UNC-PSK
SSIDs, and yet the user is still having disconnects, and we still see this
message when his device drops.  We actually see a LOT of these messages in the
logs now that I have turned on the proper notification logging, indicating that
this error message is either a red herring, or a lot more prevalent in our
environment that we had hoped for.

I plan on opening a case with Aruba, but before I beat my head against a wall
for the next couple of hours with a support engineer, have any of you seen this
problem and tackled it?

Ryan H Turner
Senior Network Engineer
CB 1150 Chapel Hill, NC 27599