On Sep 24, 2014, at 4:14 PM, Turner, Ryan H <rhtur...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> We use our own internal certificate authority.  We WERE using a public CA.
> Ultimately we decided that if used our own CA, we were in total control, and
> not subject to changes and policies made on a public CA.

We also moved to our own CA this summer, with a long expiration time to prevent
“cert renewal d-day”.

We’re an all-Apple campus, so we need to trust all certs and CAs in order for
wifi to work correctly.  Since we're on-boarding anyway, no real reason to use
a public CA.

Also, the FreeRADIUS documentation recommends AGAINST a public CA.  The reason
being that when your clients mark the CA as trusted, they now trust any cert
signed by the CA.  If you use a public CA, then anyone with a cert signed by
that CA can impersonate your radius server and get away with it because they’re
signed by the trusted CA.  With a roll-your-own, you control which certs get
signed, so no impersonation.

We leaned heavily on the eduroam recommendations for cert extensions, names,
options, etc:

https://wiki.terena.org/display/H2eduroam/EAP+Server+Certificate+considerations

So far, so good, but we haven’t rolled out to a lot of non-apple devices (yet).

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |    jhe...@logn.net    |   http://www.logn.net/