I think a good chunk of the use is even more insidious than that. I've been in a position where I've offered university guests access to our wifi. A number of these users - smart, highly technical IT professionals - instead just said "Nah, I'll just use my hotspot."

I suspect it's a combination of two things. First, "I paid for it, so I have to use it to get my money's worth". Second, "I'd have to think about how to set up a new wifi, or I can just turn on my hotspot by rote memory."

In both cases, the cost (or lack thereof) and quality of any host offered wifi doesn't even factor into the decision at all.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute |           - HL Mencken