From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Watters, John
Sent: Thursday, 18 December 2014 8:46 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Airwave Support for Cisco Devices

We have been using the AMPs for a number of years and now have three units
licensed for 2,500 devices each. We are a total Cisco shop -- APs, controllers,
and all switches & routers. Since I have no experience with support for the
Aruba APs, I cannot really judge that. However, if you want to setup a WebEx I
will be happy to let you look at my installation. The only problems I have with
Aruba's support for Cisco devices are (1) that support lags somewhat behind,
especially with new models of Cisco APs (eg, 2700 & 700w models are not fully
supported yet though some basic functionality is there), and (2)  I am finding
more and more features of the Cisco controllers that the AirWave product just
does not support -- options for the controllers available though both the GUI
and CLI interface. Over time the list of unsupported features continues to
grow. I hate to think about the day when Aruba is so far behind that I am
forced to use the Cisco PI product. But, it may happen. The Airwave folks
seemed to work much harder at staying abreast of new Cisco features before they
merged into Aruba.

Note: We are running right at 5,000 Cisco APs right now with the number going
uo to around 7,500 by the end of 2015. We have 15 WiSM2 controllers and 9 small
5608s that came to us as a part of a switch & AP bundle purchase. The
controllers were free. I have used one of these at a remote site and may use a
couple more at remote (read that as off-campus connected by DSL, Cable modems,
or MetroE circuits).

-jcw