For the longest time we have done all of our design and implementation work
in-house. Last year we decided to hire consultants for some of our high-density
deployments because we were really short-staffed. One group of consultants was
horrible, the other did well and provided good results.

Working with anybody that is not familiar with your network and your campus is
going to require some babysitting and this can be better spent with your own
people. I do have to agree that all of our needs are different, and consultants
can have their place and can provide value. If you do decide to use a
consultant, make super sure that you have a proper Statement of Work that
covers all expectations and details of what the end result will be. This is
crucial for a successful engagement.

I personally would much rather spend my money on the right tools, and on my
staff, than to give that money to someone else. In the process, you provide
continuous training, you get a chance to have those intimate details of areas
you will be serving and the end product you will be delivering.

Regards,

Hector Rios
Louisiana State University