I read some of these tips online regarding measuring rf attenuation and
measuring in the field.  I thought it was very good info so sharing here with
the group.

"For getting wall attenuation, you need to measure 3-5m of free space loss,
then the exact same distance with free space and the wall in question. It is
the difference between the two. Do a couple and average.  You have to get away
from near field and first Fresnel zone issues. Check w/ just free-space then w/
walls at same distance as the free-space data point.  Be sure to do multiples
though, one might be anomaly, like right at a metal stud.  You do not need to
use exact ap you will be installing or power level. This is all about the
differential.  The FSPL is to set a baseline, then the additional readings are
to measure target wall's attenuation."

This is the ap some suggested to help with measuring attenuation of building
materials.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/dual-band-routers/airstation-ac433-wireless-travel-router

Sent from my iPhone