About four years ago, the IT department at UTK was asked to provide temporary
Wi-Fi outdoor coverage
in a parking lot to support online payments for the Volapalooza event!
The cost of an outdoor rated AP was a definite show stopper for the student
committee’s budget.
So we improvised a PVC electric box completely sealed and we stuck an Aruba
AP-105 in it connected with Cat5, thinking that
it would last for the week end and perish from its natural electronic death
during the summer from extreme temperatures (the box is exposed to the sun
from about 10 am till 1 pm). It was an experiment. We don’t have the extreme
temperatures of Houston, but Knoxville-TN does have its fair share of extreme
temperatures.
I pass by the AP on a regular basis, and it’s still spewing 802.11 frames at a
decent rate! A testimony to the resilience of electronics!

Philippe Hanset
www.anyroam.net