From: Coehoorn, Joel<mailto:jcoeho...@york.edu>
Sent: ‎5/‎5/‎2015 5:13 PM
To:
WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Roaming

?
Do y’all have one vlan per building?

We have four wireless vlan zones (North, South, East, West).

Do you allow roaming over entire campus, per building or what?

The buildings in each zone are strategically chosen to avoid roaming
problems... we don't have much outdoor coverage, so it would be hard to roam
between the zones anyway. North and South are academic/administrative
buildings, East and West are residential.

How large are youf DHCP pools? What is the pool expiration time?

We use /21s with 8 day leases. However, it works out such that the vlans in
each zone rarely have more active devices than you would with a /24. The larger
address space and longer leases are so that clients generally have persistent
IP addresses in each zone over time, even if they aren't actively using a
lease. We do NAT everything, so maintaining address space for 4x our regular
population isn't a problem.

How do y’all find these abusers?

We don't require any authentication to the wireless network. We want to be as
welcoming to guests (especially alumni and admissions candidates) as possible.
However, we do still track use based on IP only (hence the need for longer,
persistent leases). This is a kind of double-blind strategy to avoid charges of
favoritism in enforcement. Abuse is monitored at the internet gateway, using a
product called Untangle NGFW. I can't say enough good things about that
product, though we're a very small institution and it might not scale up for
many others on this list. If/when abuse is detected, an enforcement
determination is then made by the student development office... not by IT.

Only after the enforcement determination is made will we cross reference the
IP/mac across all four zones, and force all four IPs to a captive portal page
on the NGFW that requires authentication. We also convert the leases to
reservations, and move the macs to a policy group in the policy trees such that
internet service is highly degraded if the user chooses to attempt something
like setting a static IP, but will operate normally if we have a username
associated with it. This process isn't as much work as it sounds like.

The whole scheme was created initially because we haven't long had the ability
to do vlan pools. We had to use zones to avoid everyone being in one big vlan,
and each zone had exactly one vlan. We keep the scheme because it allows some
natural isolation of residential traffic from the rest of the network.

[http://www.york.edu/Portals/0/Images/Logo/YorkCollegeLogoSmall.jpg]

Joel Coehoorn
Director of Information Technology
402.363.5603
jcoeho...@york.edu<mailto:jcoeho...@york.edu>

The mission of York College is to transform lives through Christ-centered
education and to equip students for lifelong service to God, family, and society

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Legge, Jeffry