Chuck,
That's a very fair question and I don't believe there is solid data to
support (or oppose) my contention.  I can only support my claim by
consistent anecdotal opinions of those in the institutional position to
know - our stakeholder interviews with personnel in Admissions, Res Life,
Student Affairs strongly favor this opinion at most residential
institutions.  Interestingly, in my experience this is less so for those
institutions that have a larger demographic from economically disadvantaged
backgrounds.  I'll leave the guessing as to why that is so to another forum.

As you are likely aware, the ACUTA survey supports my contention but I am
unaware of any solid data surveying student recruitment in this area so it
is accurate to say that my opinion is based strictly on anecdotal (but
consistent) evidence from key stakeholders at a broad swath of
institutions. Even the ACUTA survey is based on the opinions of the those
institutional personnel, not direct student surveys.

That said, for internal political purposes, those internal stakeholder
opinions tend to be crucial in gaining the backing needed for effective
wireless initiatives.  As we all also know, higher-ed has a strong tendency
to base decisions on what peers and aspirational peers are doing and the
ACUTA survey can be an excellent tool for this.

Thanks,
Jon
Vantage Technology Consulting Group