My impression (again, anecdotal!) is that wireless doesn't rank incredibly high during their selection process, partially because they're overwhelmed with the process as a whole (major selection, financial aid packages, etc), but also because it doesn't really occur to them that the wireless at a pricey college might not perform like the wireless in their basement at home. I would also bet that it shows up in questionnaires simply because it being on the list prompts them to think how much they'll need it, much in the same way they'd think about one asking if a reliable electric grid or edible food is important.

Once they show up on campus, though, bitching about how much wireless sucks is a popular pastime. Which, I suppose, is also the case for the food...

For my money, the faculty are actually at least as important, if not more. We're seeing more of our faculty integrating online components into their courses. This includes both in class items, such as in class real-time response systems over laptops and smartphones, and out of class for homework submission and content delivery. They tend to be more clearly focused on the core educational mission than students, and can be engaged to elicit much clearer requirements, such as "I need to support 40 students running apps X, Y, and Z in classroom XXX."

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute |           - HL Mencken