While wireless classrooms may experience growing pains at the present time, I
do not see how they won't progress as time marches on, as is the case with all
computing.  As is the case with decisions regarding other technical challenges,
there will be a place for wired and a place for wireless.  The case for
wireless has been steadily growing for some time now, from a niche to a
privilege to mission critical at times.  I know some will always have an
aversion to particular technologies, whether we're discussing wireless, or the
cloud, or virtual servers, the list goes on.  But to dismiss the idea of
transitioning from wired to wireless due to past problems would be nearsighted,
as those past and/or present obstacles will eventually be surmounted.

Speaking on a much more specific level, we currently have a much higher than
average number of computing classrooms per FTE at this institution than is the
case nationwide.  Mostly due to socio-economic factors, we have always provided
an abundance of institutionally owned technology that is available for students
to use while on campus.  Of course, as is the case with all of you, the cost to
support that infrastructure has grown over time, both in capital expenses as
well as operational expenses.  While we've done our best to minimize the OpEx
aspect of it using whatever technology is available to manage everything at a
macro level, there will always be issues that need resolving at the micro
level.

We have many new and remodeled classrooms now on wireless, and have run into
many of the same issues that some of you have experienced.  However, none of
them have been deal breakers, and the experience gained thus far has given us
the confidence to build upon this first foray into wireless classrooms in the
future.  Also, as previously mentioned, there will of course always be
situations where wired is the correct choice.  I do not endorse the idea to go
wireless simply for wireless' sake.  But the upside of choosing to do so when
possible and it is the correct choice is clear, at least to our institution.
The end users, both staff and students, have been very happy with the
transition, and have mostly been very understanding when issues have arisen, as
they are the ones looking to move us to wireless even more than we are.

Lastly, one quick analogy that has always come to mind for those who suggest
that wired "just works" while wireless is more complicated.  That's mostly
true.  However, couldn't the same be said with just about any modern good
versus an older version?  Cars, televisions, cell phones, etc.  Most of us
appreciate the new features found in all of them that make the complication and
possibility of experiencing an issue worthwhile, however, and would be
unwilling to give them up for their older, simpler versions.

That's my two cents on the matter, anyway.

Patrick Mauretti
Sr. Network Admin
Massasoit Community College
1 Massasoit Blvd
Brockton, MA 02302
508-588-9100 x1660
“On the internet, nobody knows you’re a dog.”